Fackrell Family

Fackrell Family

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Spring Break Part 2

Wednesday morning we got up, packed up the car and headed up to Washington DC. We stopped in Arlington so visit the Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. 
 We stopped here to make a quick diaper change and take in the beautiful scenery. I had a moment where I saw my whole heart sitting on that picnic table. Even looking at these pictures and thinking about it now still makes me teary. This is what it's all about. Family, and I LOVE mine and making sweet memories with them!

The Cemetery was beautiful. Such a somber, and peaceful feeling. We were able to explain to the kids what exactly soldiers were and what they did and still continue to do for us. I really hope  something sunk in for them. We talked about our freedoms and what that means to each of us. How grateful I am for the many who have served and continue to serve me, my family, and this country. They are truly the brave.










The thing I was most looking forward to was seeing the switching of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We got there in plenty of time to get situated and made sure our kids were quiet and reverent. Well as soon as the ceremony began Asher began screaming. 

I immediately had to take him away and just let him run around and climb up and down these stairs. I was so sad. I seriously started crying as I was trying to weave through all the people to get out of there with my screaming toddler. Luckily the day we got there they had just switched their schedule and they were switching the guards every half hour instead of every hour. So I made David take the kids on a walk for 45 minutes while I went to the next ceremony. 


I don't even know how to describe it, but if you ever get the chance to go to the Arlington Cemetery and visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier I suggest you take it. It was a great opportunity to really reflect on how many blessings we enjoy living here in the United States. And even though there is craziness going on around us we are still so blessed, and The bravery and courage of so many soldiers and their families is so so humbling. I really hope my kids can remember at least a glimmer of this place. 


The JFK family is also buried in the cemetery. 




If you look closely you can see the Washington Monument across the river in the background of this picture.


No comments: