Fackrell Family

Fackrell Family

Monday, May 4, 2015

Spring Break Part 3

Thursday we got up ate and took the Metro into DC. This day we did the monuments. First up was the Washington Monument. This this is massive when you are up close. It seriously made us all dizzy to stand next to it and look up. We didn't get an inside tour, but the wind was blowing pretty hard and the kids had fun trying to walk against it! HA


 Funny story. I jokingly told David we should get a selfie stick for our trip. He totally laughed and said yeah I'll never be using one of those, well by the end of this day he sheepishly says, "yeah, I think that selfie stick probably would have been a good idea!" HA!



while at the Washington Monument, you could see the White House. The White House was the one thing our kids were SO excited to see. So we ventured there next. Funny story about the White house. As we were walking there I kept getting a whiff of poop smell. Well come to find out Asher had a GIANT blowout. (we had all been sick prior to and on this trip, poor Ash had the worst diarrhea ever) Anyway, so we are literally at the front lawn of the White House and I couldn't find a bathroom anywhere, so I took Ashe under a tree to change him. Well I literally lifted him from the stroller and poop GUSHED out of the bottom of his pant legs EVERYWHERE. I had to strip him down to nothing and give him a baby wipe bath right there on the front lawn of the White House. And of course he was screaming. Luckily I had extra clothes and a plastic bag and by some miracle the seat of his stroller was dry as could be! Anyway, we found a bathroom, because I needed to wash my hands in the worse way possible, but it had no running water or soap, ugh. We had to walk for another HOUR before we found another bathroom, it was ridiculous. So NASTY!





This was the World War II Memorial. The fountains and reflection pond here were beautiful. It was such a beautiful day, and there really weren't that many people around. 




This was a massive wall of stars. Each star represented 100 military soldiers that fought in WWII. The spirit spoke to my heart so many times on this trip, and really just left me with a feeling of humility and gratitude. 


Next up was the Lincoln Memorial. I didn't realize how spread apart each of these monuments were. We did A LOT of walking!





A view of the Washington Monument from the Lincoln Memorial.

This was the Vietnam memorial. The massive wall that has all the names of those who fought in the Vietnam War. We walked past once and then David called his mom to see if we had any relatives on the wall. She couldn't remember a first name but knew his last name was Fackrell. Well I quickly jumped on my phone to see how you could look up names on the wall. Fortunately I figured it out pretty quickly and there was only one Fackrell that pulled up, so we went back and found him! It was pretty awesome. Thank you modern technology and smart phones!

Clinton B Fackrell (I can't remember the relation, I'll ask David and then include that here)

The Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. Cambree really liked this one, because they had been talking about him at school! I love when she could make school connections!

The Jefferson Memorial across the water.

So it was supposed to be the beginning of the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC, well as you can see, these Cherry Blossom Trees didn't even have a bud! HA, although, it made it nice to have less of a crowd. 

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"
Franklin Roosevelt Memorial


"Freedom of speech, Freedom of worship, Freedom of worship, Freedom from fear"

Asher had another blowout somewhere along the line, and this was his third outfit of the day. He was still pretty happy though, and I thought he would fall asleep at some
point each day in the stroller, but that never happened. 

The Thomas Jefferson Memorial. The kids were pretty tired by this point. we had walked a TON!



It was a long trek back to the Metro station. we rode back to the hotel, jumped in our car, and went to dinner at Melanie Grant's house. She is a great friend of ours from High School. It might have been since David and I were married that we've seen her last, we can't remember. But anyway, her and her roommates made us some yummy pizza and we enjoyed catching up with her! 

No comments: