Fackrell Family

Fackrell Family

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pearl Harbor

I am so far behind.

On Monday, memorial day, of our trip we found this really fun beach that had huge waves and played. the boys boogie boarded and Amanda and I just tried not to drown from all the huge waves! David and I got too much sun on our shoulders and foreheads, and not to mention David was getting sea sick from just swimming. I know it sounds crazy. So Tuesday we decided to take the day off from the beach and go check out Pearl Harbor. I was too cheap to spend the money on everything at Pearl Harbor so we just did the tour of the Arizona. It was a pretty cool place. Very Solemn and reverent.

First you watched a short video about Pearl Harbor and then you get on a boat and they take you out to the memorial. This picture was taken from the boat as we were arriving at the memorial. There are over 900 soldiers buried here.


at the far end of the memorial they have this room and has all of the Soldiers names on it, including those who survived and have since died and are also buried here. This room brought me to tears. Seriously it was so reverent here, nobody said a word, it was pretty cool.











Even with all these people you could have heard a pin drop.


We read later in the little museum that there was over 500,000 gallons of oil in the ship and it has only leaked 5,000-10,000 gallons. I think the oil in the water was actually really pretty because you could see it bubble up and then spread out and make lots of different colors. (I am sure if the environmentalists read this they would be cringing in their chairs after reading that comment) we also read that they don't let ANY divers here, not even the environmentalists to see what the oil could be doing to the waters. I thought that was pretty cool since it is a cemetery and all.


This was just right before we got back on the boat.


they had this HUGE anchor displayed right outside the main area you go into back on the mainland before you board the ship. I guess I never realized how BIG those suckers gotta be!!


And the submarine that David really wanted to tour but his cheap wife opted not to! And those plaques talked about different ships that were lost at sea. It was just a really cool place to see!


I still have a lot more to tell but seems how we are moving tomorrow and we don't have much packed I better get my bum in gear and get this apt. packed up! I probably won't have the Internet for awhile since the house isn't technically ours yet...more on that later...people have been taking their little ole time. We should have closed the 19th...but since that hasn't happened we were going to be homeless soon. Anyway, when it is finally ours and we have the Internet I will fill you in on all the details...it is sort of an ARGH topic right now, HA!!!

3 comments:

Kevin and Eliza said...

What a neat place to visit. I'm sorry about your house and the deal not closing yet. How frustrating.

Emily Rasmussen said...

cool! I am a history lover. Jealous! good luck moving...so much fun. ;) At least its a move up. Now, that is really fun!

Hil said...

I'm jealous you guys got in! I was so disappointed when they told us they were sold out for the day. Bummer. That is so fun you guys went to Hawaii!