Fackrell Family

Fackrell Family

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11/2001

I wanted just to jot down some of the things I remember from this day 7 years ago.

It was just the start of my Freshman year down at BYU in Provo. I got up and got ready for class just like a regular day. I was living in the dorms, Heleman Halls, and as I walked past the lobby I noticed a larger amount of people in the Lobby than normal at that hour in the morning. I think it was around 8:00. They were all glued to the T.V. that I couldn't see from the hallway. So I went into the Lobby myself and that is when I first saw the pictures of the planes crashing into the towers in New York. I didn't really have much time to soak it all in or watch for very long for fear of being late to class. As I got up to campus I noticed every classroom that I walked past had the T.V. tuned to the news. I got to class and my classroom was no different. We spent most of my class watching, staring, nobody really said anything. All of my classes were like that, nobody taught, we watched as students received phone calls from family and friends from that area in hopes their families were all safe. I personally didn't know anyone that had a family die in the attack, but there were a few classmates that had father's that worked their or near by. I remember going home and calling my mom. I have an uncle that is a pilot and another one that works in the Pentagon. (both my mom's brothers) She was kind of a mess. She had heard from the pilot, but their was no trace of the one that worked in the Pentagon, we couldn't get a hold of anyone that knew if he was ok. I am not sure when we finally heard he was ok, but from what I remember we didn't hear from him until after Christmas. He sent out a late Christmas card telling us he had to go into hiding after everything happened, and his office was right next to the hole in the Pentagon, it barely missed him.

How grateful I am for the men and women who serve our country. They are amazing people. I too had a few cadets in my classes, one a mother, who had to leave in the middle of the school year to go to Iraq and Afghanistan to serve our country. I am so grateful to live in the country that I do with the freedoms that I have. I seriously tear up every time I see anyone in Uniform. Thank you to all who have served our country in every capacity, I pray for you and continue to count my lucky stars that you are willing to put your life on the line for mine. We have so much to be thankful for.


1 comment:

pixiestylist said...

you have such a way with words i agree with this whole post 110% its like you put my thoughts into words. nice.

ps i LOVE reading your blog. sorry i just lurk and never comment;)